Websites that are not maintained properly are usually out of date, at risk for security breaches, and riddled with unnecessary files that suck bandwidth and slow website performance, making sites cumbersome for visitors to browse.
These problems are hard to see. There are many website owners who know that there are software updates for their websites but they never make the updates because failing to do so never results in any repercussions. A website can go months and even years without an update before a hack or some other security breach happens. But the failure to make the update does leave a website at risk.
This is just one of the many reasons it is a good idea to have a professional managing your website.
Things that should be happening on a regular basis:
- Keep all website software up to date.
- Make sure your files are optimized.
- Perform regular backups.
- Perform regular site audits.
- Use strong passwords and change them on a regular basis.
- Use security software similar to antivirus on your computer.